Monday, October 15, 2012

Restful Healing


It is not very often that I give in to a virus.  It's not very often that I give up, and call in sick.  In this busy, crazy world we live in, there is a sense of guilt we carry when we are sick.  What have our lives come to when we make our selves feel bad for being ill?  Especially as women, we feel we do not have the right to be ill, to heal ourselves, to let the world function without us.  It's just a virus, it only lasts a few days.  Everyone gets sick.  Everyone.

Today, after fighting a nasty cold virus all weekend, and trying to power through it, cooking and cleaning, shopping despite all efforts to get me to stay on the couch, I gave in.  I decided my health is more important than anything else I had to do today, and I went back to bed.  I slept the morning away, crawling out of bed at 11:15 this morning.

Sleep is an amazing thing.  Sleep - where our bodies have a natural ability to recover.  To heal.  Today, as I sit on the couch, with my tea, well rested, I am grateful for sleep and my body's ability to recover.

Today, I will take the time to recover from being sick...because I am human.  And next time, maybe it will be easier to listen to those who told me to stay on the couch the first time.


No comments:

Post a Comment