Saturday, September 8, 2012

Night Lights


I decided to take a drive tonight to attempt to capture a picture.  I've always wanted to catch that moment.  That moment of recognition.  Of coming home.

So I drove out... and away... just far enough.

I turned around and headed towards home.

I crested the hill, and the lights of the town started to sparkle in the dusk.  Home.

I found a safe spot and pulled off the highway.  My truck was humming of warmth, and the smell of coffee mixed with autumn air when I opened my door.  The soft lull of music whispered from the windows.


As I stood and took this picture, memories flooded me.  I remember when I moved away for a time to learn some lessons about being on my own.  I remember being crazy lonely for home, and my mom coaxing me back to town.  When I would drive into town at night, cresting this hill always brought tears to my eyes.  It was the coming home.  Oh, I was grateful for the return.  

Even as a child, late night trips home from a visit, the lights across the highway would dance a welcome, promising home was just over the next hill.

And even now, with people rushing away, or trudging up a hill. the lights promise home is just around a bend.  

With gratitude and night lights.




1 comment:

  1. I always look for these lights when I crest that same hill, and get the greatest feeling in the world, it's almost overwhelming. ~Jordi

    ReplyDelete