Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Brilliant Gilbert - Don't Fail Me Now

I don't know how she did it.  It's amazing, really.  Elizabeth Gilbert is brilliant.  She crawled into my mind, spent some time with my soul, and wrote the most amazing book... Eat Pray Love.  It is one of my favorite books of all time.  I have read it cover to cover, start to finish, end to end to beginning again.  I refuse to lend it out, I have page markers, and it's by my night stand.  It's been over a year, 15 months, actually, since I read it the first time, and I am about to read it all over again.  

If you haven't read it, do.  For all the times you picked it up and put it back down, pick it up once again, and read it.  Read it, love it, live it.  I was dared to read it, and was accused of being closed minded at my initial refusal to read it.  I actually said "I don't want to read about another 'Jesus saved me' story".  Me - religiously closed minded? I snarled and shut my mind to someone else's spiritual journey?  Turns out, envy of her journey had gotten the better of me, and pulled out a stubborn streak of refusal.  But then again, I thought, I rarely turn down a dare...  and I so I started to read.

I read... no... I was engrossed in this story.  I read it with tears running down my face, laughing and twisting in emotion.  I have learned so much from my own relation to this woman's feelings, and I yearn for the peace she has found.  I remember reading the first third of the book, sure I had taken a soul flight into her head and written it for her.  Those were my words.  Those were my feelings, my thoughts, my emotions.  How could she know...?  That was me on the bathroom floor.

She found peace in her journey; a peace I still struggle to find.  Thursday will begin Hatha yoga, where I will be reminded to breathe and focus and listen for a moment.  I pray I will find balance, literally (it's yoga afterall, I'm sure you've seen a pose of two and raised an eyebrow), and emotionally.  

I am grateful for the realization of my own emotional imbalance, Elizabeth Gilbert for knowing hers, and for her gift of Eat Pray Love, that lights a path in the dark.  Lis... and Bradshaw, and my soul await....




Oh...and Elizabeth Gilbert introduced me to 'amica stretta' - for the one who brought me Bradshaw. <3


No comments:

Post a Comment