Saturday, October 22, 2011

Ever Thine, Ever Mine, Ever Ours


Today I learned what everlasting love looks like.  It looks like a white haired man, with eyes of blue oceans, lost in the thought of being alone, without his wife after more than 60 years of love. It looks like rounded shoulders once so strong and square, it looks like fidgeting fingers at the dining room table, and ramblings of "what am I going to do" from the man who always has all the answers.  Today I learned heart ache, and if I ever thought for one second mine was ever broken, I was wrong.  This capacity of love is truly...quieting.  This love makes one hold onto last breaths, and hope, and faith, and hand holding, and the gentle kisses.

I cried today, for my grandfather's breaking heart, and for having to decide to let go of the love of his life.  I cried for his unselfish act of letting her find the peace she needs despite his need for her.  I have gratitude for knowing there is a love that lasts beyond what time allows.

The rest of what I had to write today, just doesn't seem to matter.













No comments:

Post a Comment