Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Letters From The Other Side


I have thinking a lot about death lately.  Not so much the act of dying, but the aftermath.  Perhaps it's all the people I see around me, leaving the Earth at an early time, or even in experiencing life after the "unsaid".  And, no, I, myself, am not ill, and I certainly have no plans on leaving this Earth anytime before my ninety or hundred something birthday. Don't panic people!  But, beyond my control, I often wonder, if I were gone tomorrow, would I have said all the things I needed to say?  As I type this, I can hear the words of "If Tomorrow Never Comes" and I actually giggled.

I have been thinking for a while now, probably too long of a time to have let it fall to the wayside, that I have things that I want people to know.  I have things to say, and things I need to make sure people know when I no longer occupy space on Earth.  I have letters to write, the kind of letters that make you hide away for a weekend with no distractions just to write them.

When I was in junior high, our teacher handed out homework for our parents.  They were asked to write us a letter about our birth, and our childhood, and words of wisdom for us.  I would have never imagined the impact that one letter would have on my life.  I read it then, and cried.  I read it often for years afterwards, and I cried.  I read it today, and I cry.  I don't know that I understood the extent of my mother's love until I read that letter.  I want the same for my children.  I have promised myself to sit down and write a letter to them, so they can understand the capacity of my love for them.

I have a long list of letters... my children, my parents, my husband, some close friends, and even my former husband.  My question, I guess, is - does one wait to have the letters distributed until it's too late for the things that have been said to be said? Does one actually take a risk of the crack that may open up in a wall, or even more dangerous, her heart, to actually distribute them now... that's a lot of fear for me.  A fear, I think, I have to conquer.  I don't want it to be too late - ever.

The more I think about it, perhaps that what has me so unbalanced, unable to focus, and feeling so jarred up with my emotions.  I have things to say... and when I am gone, maybe someone will say, "I am grateful she never left things unsaid".


2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jenn, I wish I had been in that junior high class. Having that letter from my parents would mean everything to me.

    I love this photo of you. Thank you for writing this blog - it has become an important little part of my day already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine it would have gone a little something like this:

    Dear Shelly,

    From the first time we looked into your eyes, we knew you were amazing. You grew up busy and magical and reaching out, touching the world. We know, as you grow, our pride in will grow with you, and just when we thought we could not be prouder, we are.

    Life will not always be easy, and there are times your spirit will seem dim, and you will struggle. This is the power of learning, and we know your strength will carry you through, and life will offer you up laughter and love and precious moments. You will see - when you have your own children. They will have your eyes, just as you have ours. See the world, live life with reckless abandon, learn instead of regret, and love with the incredible heart you have blessed with.

    We made a deal with God when you chose us. We promised to love you for all time, and teach you peace and light. We sealed our promise in gold, and God smiled.

    Our hearts are full, and you started a life for us we never knew was possible. Thank you for choosing us, and thank you for being our daughter.

    Love Everlasting,

    Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete