Sunday, October 30, 2011

Personal Rewards

Tomorrow is Halloween.  It's a day I do not particularly care for.  It's been a life time of built dislike, I doubt anything will ever change that for me.  I do, however, respect the kids' love for it, and do what I can to make it pleasant for them.  And so, today, the children carved pumpkins.  Please note, I did not say "we".

I purchased the pumpkins, I cut the tops.  That's it.  This was a project for the kids. Mwah ha ha... MOM will not clean them.  MOM will not draw faces, MOM will not carve.  MOM WILL NOT CLEAN UP!  Mom will, however, provide a lesson...

I ignored the "how do I?"s, and the "I can't"s.  I presented reminders of who's project this was, and how innovative their brains are.  Turns out, I was right. Three pumpkins were carved, and carved very well.  The kitchen was cleaned without me lifting a hand (mostly).  And, when all was said and done, three pumpkins sat on the front stoop, all with smiling children admiring them fondly, and with pride - because they did it - on their own.  

I am grateful for lessons, holiday projects, and most of all, pride in a job well done.


I am also not so secretly grateful that Halloween only lasts one day, and that it will all be over by 8:00 p.m. tomorrow. I just don't like it!



No comments:

Post a Comment