Thursday, February 23, 2012

Self Preservation

"We have the wolf by the ears, and we can neither hold him, nor safely let him go.  Justice is on one scale, and self preservation on the other."  ~Thomas Jefferson~

It's an interesting thing - self preservation, I mean.  The whole purpose is to keep one's self from harm, and in the innate action of it all, this overwhelming feeling of guilt ensues.  It's a tough battle, so many years in the learning.  

There's a place part of my soul resides.  It's a place that is shut out from everyone else.  It's a place where no one gets in.  It's a place of self preservation, and for learning how to get there, I am grateful.  

Many people don't understand it - how I could get to a place to where no else can get in - where I can't take care of anyone else but myself -even of it's just for a few seconds, or minutes, or moments...or memories.  It's a place that is learned.  It is a place of no expectation, of no hurt.  It's a place of love, and respect, and a place where no one can take any part of me away.  It's a selfish place -  where I don't take care of anyone, and I don't fix things I didn't break.  And in not doing, I have learned self preservation.  

Many a time I have given so much of myself in a battle, or in fixing, or in caring, coddling, supporting, healing...that there was almost nothing of myself left.  And on that path, I found a lesson.  I am not here to save anyone else's world.  I am here to enjoy my own.  And so, I have learned self preservation, I have learned to "take off the cape", although it's never easy.  

I can "have the wolf by the ears" and I know I can't hold it.  I know I cannot safely let it go.  But I can stare it in the eye, and feel it's plight mixed with it's power, and in a moment, know we are in the same place.  Self Preservation.  Grateful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment