Saturday, December 24, 2011

Sing It Suess!

"Welcome Christmas, bring your cheer.  Cheer to all Whos far and near.  Christmas Day is in our grasp, so long as we have hands to clasp.  Christmas Day will always be just as long as we have we.  Welcome Christmas, while we stand, heart to heart, and hand in hand."  ~How The Grinch Stole Christmas~

Dr. Suess is brilliant, and I am grateful for words that have rang out through our house for years and years, reminding us the true spirit and intentions of Christmas.  Christmas is for the celebration of togetherness, for family, for memories, and for sharing love. 

I spent today, Christmas Eve, at my Grandpa's house, for the first time in well over 15 years.  I spent time in a kitchen too small, sharing stories and laughter with my sister in law, my cousin's beautiful wife (whom I just met for the first time, even though they have been married for years and have two beautiful girls already).  I helped my momma with dinner in my grandma's kitchen, all the while watching her choke back her own tears as she cooked for the family for the first time without her own momma. I listened to the hum of old westerns in the living room, stories in the dining room, and kids laughing downstairs.  It was... just right. 

There were kids, and cousins, uncles and aunts, moms and dads, nanas and papas.  There were all the Whos of Whoville, hand in hand, heart to heart... and in the quiet moments, I think I heard a smile.  

Welcome Christmas...Welcome Home. 



1 comment:

  1. I truly love this post, Jennifer. Merry Christmas, my sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete