Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Auntie Turkey

This morning, I woke up, and I wasn't comfortable in my own skin.  Nothing felt right.  My skin looked pale, my hair was beyond doable, and my clothes just didn't sit right.  I felt like my soul was stretching, stretching beyond me, reaching for something more.  The ache in me is so undefined, and I just wish I knew what it was that is just beyond my reach.  I wish I knew... I asked the Universe just to whisper in my ear... I wish I knew...

I took a trip today, and in my travels, a miracle happened, and her name is Brooklynn.

Today, I met Brooklynn.  Brooklynn is three.  Today, this whisper came from Brooklynn's blue, blue eyes...


Brooklynn wears this smile, and her eyes say so much.  She can't talk much, just a few words, "mom" and "dad"... but today, my heart heard everything she had to say.  Brook has Rhett's syndrome.  Rhett syndrome is a disorder of the nervous system, exclusively in girls, that leads to developmental reversals, especially in the areas of expressive language and hand use.  That's the science of it. 

Today, this beautiful dancerella, expressed a thousand emotions, and didn't have to say a word.  She giggled, and danced, and laughed and cuddled.  She stood on my knees and wiggled and giggled and I called her a turkey.  "Turkey lurkey, dancing girl, turkey lurkey, gobbling wobbling..". And she laughed.  We twirled and danced, and rocked and cuddled, her eyes growing heavy with exhaustion.  She looked at me, and I said to her "who's a beautiful girl?"  She smiled and said "Turkey, turkey".  My heart melted... and the Universe whispered, "Turkey, turkey".  

Today, I became Auntie Turkey, and I am more than okay with that. I cannot express my gratitude for this little turkey, and her smile, and her blue, blue eyes.  I am also grateful for her whispers, and for the Universe's whispers... "turkey, turkey".  

I know...There it is again, and I can hear it, I just can't have it. I know where my soul is reaching.  It's been reaching to teach for so long, and it's just so out of reach.  Oh how I wish I could see the way...




2 comments:

  1. I am balling! You made us so happy today! And we have been teaching and waiting for her to "copy" and take turns! "Turkey,turkey,turkey....TURKEY!" I was so excited and she was so happy to be in your arms!! Auntie Turkey... we love you!!
    <3 K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so lovely, you have beautiful people in your life Kerry, I read many more blogs, Jennifer, inspirational!
    Gert

    ReplyDelete