Monday, November 28, 2011

Meeting Malevolent Mediocrity on Monday

It's hard to write a gratitude post when I am angry.  I have had an angry day.  This will not go down in the book of good Mondays.  Aside from tiny irritations of my day, like being locked out of my office before anyone with a key showed up, and smug, smirking s.o.b's that deserve less than none of my energy and get it anyways, there are bigger issues in my closet.

I am dealing with an old, large, daunting demon today.  The demon of learning disorders and a less than interested (yes those are my nice words) teacher.  I am frustrated, and angry, and I am actually grateful for that, I think.  I am grateful for the fuel.  I am proud to be a parent who gives a damn, and one who refuses to let her child fall through systemic cracks in our education system.  I am grateful I expect more from my child than mediocrity and flying under the radar.  Nothing gets past mom-dar: a radar of epic motherly proportions.

I am grateful for the calm after the storm - maybe I should write about that tomorrow - after the parent teacher interview (or as I like to refer to it - "fourth meeting's a charm?).  I know I will feel better having defended my stake in my child's educational claim to those who need to listen, and I know I will feel empowered to make a difference - it's what drives me, and there will be peace, sooner or later.  Let's pray for sooner...

I am also grateful for this little dandy survey:


A parental survey about the new format of reporting a child's learning.  In my opinion it's our way of telling our kids it's ok to be mediocre and to accept and "ish" approach to grasping concepts.  I do not enjoy it.  I do, however find the scale useful in rating aspects of my children's education:

Your child's teacher has met your expectations and the needs of your child:

Not Yet          Approaching          Meeting          Excelling

Please Comment: ohhhhh  I would love to! 

I think I may make my own survey and send it to the school board....

Yes, an angry, angry day prevails...


No comments:

Post a Comment