Friday, November 11, 2011

Soldier Boy

This is my Grandfather...


...in all of his soldier splendor.  


This is my Grandfather...


...in all of his Grandpa glory.

Today is a day that always makes me mindful of the life he has lived, and the experience he carries on his shoulders.  I am well aware that I am a Canadian because of him, and thousands and thousands of men and women like him, and I am extremely grateful.  Remembrance Day is always for him.  I remember the stories he wouldn't tell, and the ones we assumed from the pictures we found in the metal box in the hall.  I remember the medals that sit tarnishing, never to be displayed.  I remember the sadness in his eyes with every fallen soldier on the news he sits down to watch every night.  Somethings are ever changing, and something things just never change.  My memories are no comparison to his.  For every soldier, and for my grandfather, and my great grandfather before him, here's to you. 







1 comment:

  1. Soooo.... all these years, I thought this was a picture of my grandfather. It turns out, it's my great grandfather! Oh dear me! Looks like I will need to get a copy of my grandfather's enlistment photo as well. All these years... goodness...

    ReplyDelete