Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Blessings in Disguise

Today was my Grandmother's funeral, not the easiest of days for anyone.  There were tears and stories, tough moments, and over flowing emotions.

Out of every nook and cranny, every door way, left and right, people kept appearing.  These were not just any people.  These were our family, our friends, and our support centers.  I would carefully say, that I enjoyed the small reunion of sorts, and I was reminded, that there are people that will love you, no matter how much time passes, or how far away they are - the love is steady, unconditional, and everlasting.  I saw genuine acts of friendship, and I am so grateful for the friends in my mother's life.  I was elated at their love for her, and so grateful for their hearts.

Among the tears, and difficulty of the day, I will say, with one hundred percent certainty, that I am most grateful for laughter, humor, and the sparkling wit of my Grandfather.  If there was giggling in the quiet - you can be certain he was either very near by, or smack dab in the middle of it.  My grandfather believes in laughter, smiles, and light heartedness - and I am grateful for that trait I carry with me.

...at a quiet cemetary, we stood, circling a my grandmother's resting place.  It was a final goodbye, it was terribly difficult for my parents and for my family members.  In tradition, the funeral processors handed out flowers from the spray to us members attending to lay in her honor.  My grandfather, sensing the difficulty, stood with his rose, looked right across to me where I was standing, lifted his flower to his mouth, and faked taking a huge bite out of it.  He even made himself giggle - and, in turn, made me have to turn around to mask my own laughter.  He shot me a wink, placed his rose on the casket, waited for his children to do the same, took their hands, and walked away.

When all else fails, keep the laughter, and smile through it.  I am grateful he taught me that.  I will carry it with me always.

I so wish I could have snapped a picture with my mind for all of you to see, as I would so like to share a smile that Grandpa shared with me.  But, alas, I could not.



Chin Up... Smile On.  <3



No comments:

Post a Comment