Friday, November 18, 2011

Oh Captain, My Captain

I had a glorious day.  It was filled with a busy morning, a pot luck lunch with the girls at work (which was so delicious!), decorating the office, a light up parade downtown, and even a couple of quiet moments alone.  Even now, I am savoring a little bit of chocolate cake while I smile and write.  I am grateful for so much today.

For my day, and that my husband came home safe today after a long day on terrible roads.  For my kids that keep me breathing with their smiles and laughter.  For Tara's apple cider that has warmed my mug and my core since ten o'clock this morning.  For Tanya's Bolshevik hat that made my burst out laughing in the middle of the street - with no one else around.  For Jordi's company during the parade. For Tracy and baby being so far so good after a fall.  My day has been blessed.

There are things that we take for granted all the time, but today, not me.  I see it all, and I am taking it in and loving it.  I have come to the conclusion that my day was made wonderful not only by the people in it, but laughter.  And today, above all else, today's post belongs to laughter.  Laughter lightens the soul, brightens the air and makes picture perfect moments, even if just in the memory.  As my grandfather taught me, if all else fails, laugh.

I would like to share the biggest laugh of my day, the cherry on top. The story that still has me smiling, and guilty of a constant giggle with a twinge of empathy for the recipient of my amusement.  I was at the grocery store, light hearted from day, humming to myself, taking inventory of the young guy's groceries ahead of me, and chuckled.  Yep, bachelor.  Young, and his list consisted of yogurt, fruit, sandwich stuff, and cereal.  Yep, bachelor.  I was amused at what was unfolding in front of me already - like a movie, where you know there's about to be a train wreck, but you have to watch anyways.  Smooth as silk, he flashes a smile at the cute cashier.  "Hey there sweetie, how you doin'?"  Without missing a beat she shoots a look at the cereal, and another at Rico Suave in his pumas and designer jeans, with one word, sends my laughter all the way out loud... "Really?"... beep...Captain Crunch...$3.29.  I have never seen a man want to run so fast from a store in my life.  She couldn't contain her laughter with mine bursting out of me, following the young, still single, man out the door.

So here's to you Oh Captain, My Captain... When all else fails...laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment